We came home from our trip to find a lonely cat, a lot of weeds in the garden, and some giant white mushrooms among the marigolds.
I pulled them all out and took some photos, and I poked about online to see if I could find out if I could of eaten them if I hadn’t put them all in the garbage. Most sources say that if the gills are pale or white, don’t eat it! Also, these don’t look like any photos of edible mushrooms I could find. So I’m glad I followed the mushroom rule: if in doubt, DON’T EAT IT!
Here is another photo of a bunch of them next to my foot (size 6.5 wide) for scale. Can anyone identify these? I’d like to pin a name to them, if possible.
UPDATE: I found mycologist Tom Volk of the University of Wisconsin – LaCrosse online and sent him the link to these photos. He thinks they are Chlorophyllum molybdites, which are definitely poisonous but generally not deadly. See also this site.