I promised I would tell you things I had accomplished this summer, to counter the complaints I made on Monday. First is the collection of sixty (60) jars of pickles, jam, and dessert topping that now live in our basement. This is not including the jars that we have given away or consumed the contents of, or that I made in a class. Or the three unused pint jars that are destined to contain pickled beets as of next weekend. I am honestly amazed to count up all these jars (though my numbers are miniscule compared to Marisa’s):
- 4 8-oz jars blackberries in chambord
- 1 pint jar watermelon rind pickles
- 8 pint jars dill spears
- 7 pint jars bread & butter pickles
- 3 pint jars cucumber relish
- 12 8-oz jars blueberry jam
- 4 8-oz jars peach dessert sauce
- 7 8-oz jars black-and-blue berry jam
- 9 jars raspberry jam (mixed sizes)
- 5 jars peach/berry jam (mixed sizes)
Before this summer, I had never canned anything. But now I am very much on the bandwagon with everyone else in the “canvolution.”
I acquired a car to convert to a plug-in electric vehicle. Thanks, Melissa! Interestingly, I have already gotten two inquiries about the car from prospective buyers (one a driveway-sealer guy driving by, another from a pizza delivery guy) and a tentative recipient of the engine and transmission (somebody the guy next door knows). Today my minions and I removed the radiators (there were two!), alternator, spark plugs, a belt, the battery, the fuse box, part of the exhaust, the coolant reservoir, and unhooked much of the wiring. If only I had minions more often! But they are all off to college and I am off to vacation, and then I will be in school. I suggested we might work on the car again the day after Thanksgiving. We shall see. I am in touch with the minions on facebook, so hopefully we will manage to accomplish more.
I built a foam-cutter. This is a wooden platform and a taut, vertical nichome wire that I can pass some electric current through. The current makes the wire hot, so it can cut through polystyrene foam with ease, and with noxious fumes. It is only for use in a well-ventilated area. Then I needed a power supply for the foam cutter, and it ought to be variable- i.e. I want to be able to adjust the voltage continuously from 0V to 12V. It is only partially constructed, but I have all the parts. I have a nifty new soldering station that made construction of the power supply (I converted a computer’s ATX power supply) easy peasy!
I went to the library numerous times, read a bunch of books, constructed two jigsaw puzzles, read two e-books on my iPod, caught up on some podcast-listening, organized some stuff in my office better, sorted through several large stacks of paper in my office, fixed up a mobile made by one of my students so that it is much sturdier, acquired some uranium-doped glass marbles, took three teacher workshops (one a week long and two 3-day workshops), foisted cucumbers off on anyone and everyone, had jury duty for a day, took a pickling class, picked quarts and quarts of berries, and made pies!
One thing I managed to do that I am very pleased with is getting a lot of unframed artwork that has been sitting around the house (in one case since we moved in) framed professionally. One of those pieces has not been sitting around that long, it is a watercolor painting by my dad. We will hang it in the guest room, but we don’t know which will be the appropriate bit of wall, yet, so in the meantime it is on the futon:
All that and I still found time to lie about on my backside doing sudoku puzzles and watching Law and Order and Bones on TV. Which explains why three major projects aren’t finished yet…and I am going on vacation tomorrow! I will come back and have three days to get my act together before school inservices begin! ACK!