Remember reading over the summer that I learned to make pickles and jam? Now I know how to make marmalade! Several people have asked for the recipe, so here it is. I made slight modifications to the recipe from the cosmic cowgirl, who credits Nigella Lawson (though I can’t find a marmalade recipe credited to Nigella herself on her website – maybe it’s from a book). I found her through the tigress’s “can jam” January citrus round-up of recipes.
The first step was figuring out which citrus to use. Every year my parents have been sending us a box of oranges and grapefruit at Christmas and a box of Temple oranges at St. Valentine’s Day. This season after a discussion we settled on ONE box of fruit, the yummy Temples and also grapefruit…usually we take a looonng time to get through all the fruit. So my husband and I had a discussion and my wonderful smart husband asked me which fruit we take the longest to use up. That’s the grapefruit, so that became the marmalade ingredient.
- 5 pink grapefruit
- juice of 4 lemons (I used the equivalent of bottled lemon juice)
- about 7 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of local honey (from Lancaster County)
Since marmalade involves the rind, I scrubbed the fruit very well to start with, then cut them in half. I boiled the halved fruit uncovered for two hours (adding boiling water from a kettle once or twice), and drained the fruit and let it cool. Meanwhile, I put a couple of plates in the freezer for gel-testing, cleaned my jars and lids, brought my processing water-bath to a boil with my jars inside, and readied my canning tools.
I used a mandoline to slice up the grapefruit halves, then removed some large chunks of membrane and large chunks of rind. I chopped the large chunks of rind into smaller slices and added them back in, and then I used an immersion blender to make some pieces even smaller, but I did not chop it into such tiny pieces as the cosmic cowgirl did.
Citrus pith, membrane, and seeds contain plenty of pectin, and I saved a bunch of seeds from when I cut the grapefruit in half and put them and the large chunks of membrane I’d removed into a little cloth bag (one of those herb bag thingys for bouquet garni–you could also use cheesecloth or some clean muslin) which went into the pot with the shredded grapefruit, lemon juice, honey and sugar. I brought the mixture to a boil and kept it at a low boil for a long while…I started gel-testing at about 10 minutes, but it took more like 45 minutes before I felt it was ready.
I filled and wiped my jars, and processed them for 10 minutes. I got 5.5 pints of marmalade from this recipe, and I can attest that it is yummy on bagels with cream cheese, bread with butter, and bread with peanut butter.